Wednesday 9 May 2012

How knowing different types of personality can help us to communicate effectively?

When we are angry, sad, anxious or .... it's so easy to criticize and blame people blindly ... but is it the right way?!!!
Have you ever listened to your self talk when you are about to lose temper in relationships? Following is my previous self talk (before attending this program) when feeling there are conflicts between me and others: 
     
"This person is terrible! I will never deal with him/her again! He makes me crazy! OMG! How rude he/she is..."

Previously, I was in the state of judgement instead of being in the state of empathy. In other words, I had tendency to criticize people without trying to know them or seeing the situation from their point of view.

Now, I am blessed by knowing that we are different. I learned that there are 4 different types of personality namely Sanguine, Melancholy, Choleric and Phlegmatic and each personality type has its own strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I know that I am Melancholy perfectionist and it's easy for me to get depressed. I learnt that I expect too much from others because of my perfectionist attitude. So, I am trying  to be more self aware and not to fall into trap of perfectionism.


No comments: